What's in It for Blair???

Jeet Heer jeet at sturdynet.com
Tue Mar 11 06:53:19 PST 2003

Blair's policy has been in keeping with British policy throughout the 20th century to shore up his country's global position via a tight alliance with the United States. Back in better days, Christopher Hitchens wrote a superb book on this topic (Blood, Class and Nostalgia). The psychology of the "special relationship" is interesting.

In the twentieth century, as Britain was increasingly weakened by two World Wars, the locus of imperial ambition shifted from London to Washington. "These Americans represent the new Roman Empire and we Britons, like the Greeks of old must teach them how to make it go," Tory Prime Minister Harold Macmillan once said. Like the Greeks of the previous century, Britons like Macmillan thought that their global position would be enhanced even as junior partners in a very large empire.

To see yourself as an advisor to someone else's empire requires a curious combination of pride (in your own talents) and self-abnegation (in your national powers). On another occasion, Macmillan compared Britain to "the Greek slaves" who "ran the operations of the Empire Claudius."

----- Original Message ----- From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Tuesday, March 11, 2003 9:18 AM Subject: Re: What's in It for Blair???