Hydrogen cars? Fahgeddabeddit!

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Tue Mar 11 08:42:51 PST 2003

>On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 00:04:41 -0800
> Gar Lipow <lipowg at sprintmail.com> wrote:
>
>> That figure around $0.03 per KWH is an interesting one.
>> Because according to the American Wind Energy
>> Association, if the larger sized wind farms are financed
>> on the same terms as fossil fuel generators, the cost
>> is aound $0.028 per KWH
>>
>> http://www.awea.org/faq/cost.html
>>
>Ken Hanly replied:
>
>But how much land is needed? I'm guessing we'd have to cut
>down a lot of trees.

North Dakota, with enough wind to generate more than enough electricity to fuel our entire automotive stock, has barely one percent of its surface wooded. It should never have been farmed and its farms and population are disappearing. The Missouri River provides plenty of fresh water for electrolytic production of hydrogen. The state, as hydrogen producer, could go from one of the poorest to the very richest while its land reverts to prairie and "the flower-fed buffalos of the spring" make a grand comeback.

Shane Mage

"Thunderbolt steers all things."

Herakleitos of Ephesos, fr. 64