RES: The North Korean "Threat"

Alexandre Fenelon afenelon at zaz.com.br
Tue Mar 11 18:04:21 PST 2003

I see what you mean, but it's difficult to imagine a credible Left movement defending proliferation of nuclear weapons, delivery systems and command and control mechanism in the long term.

-Hmmm...the left should be more realistic in its policies. It´s better to -defend proliferation than a utopian stategy of disarming that will only -reinforce the monopolium of a few countries.

The fSU built a 100 tonne stockpile of enriched Uranium. Far in excess of the requirements for minimum deterrence.

-But it worked, didn´t it? In the end both the USSR and the USA understood -those weapons were only for blackmail purposes, not to be used.

I don't think the US and other P-5 states will allow smaller countries to acquire nuclear weapons. They would want to preserve their monopoly over the WMD. It is no less utopian to imagine P-5 states would allow proliferation of nuclear weapons. China, e.g. favours denuclearisation of Korean peninsula.

-That´s a big problem. Nuclear weapons development cost is the other. I think -non P5 countries should develop joint projects to have their own nukes.

Alexandre Fenelon