[Fwd: Call for conference of radical academics in all disciplines fromRadical Caucus of MLA]

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Mar 11 17:51:40 PST 2003

Subject: Call for conference of radical academics in all disciplines from Radical Caucus of MLA

Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 19:44:08 -0500

From: Steve Rosenthal <steve-rosenthal at cox.net>

To: PSN <PSN at csf.colorado.edu>

I was asked to post this draft of a call for a conference of radical academics from the Radical Caucus of the Modern Language Association. It will take place at the CUNY Graduate Center on Saturday, April 19. I expect to be able to post an updated call with more complete information in the next few days.

Steve Rosenthal

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The Radical Caucus of the Modern Language Association invites members of progressive caucuses in all academic disciplines, as well as individual activists, to a symposium:

RADICAL ACADEMICS: WHAT IS TO BE DONE?

April 19, 10:00 - 4:00

City University of New York, Graduate Center,

Fifth Avenue, between 34th and 35th Streets, Room ______?

Friends: with antiwar activity rising and continuing efforts in many fields to combat the degradation of academic labor, we think this may be a good time for a friendly meeting of active leftists in the universities. Our aims:

1. To trade reports on conditions in the disciplines and the work of activist groups;

2. To discuss the politics of higher education in a time of war fever and a longer time of privatization;

3. To consider whether a loose affiliation of left caucuses, or even a formal organization of academic progressives, might be worth undertaking--to oppose the war, but also to constitute a more general resistance among graduate students and faculty members.

We suggest beginning with reports and analysis (#1 above) from participants who can speak about or for the various caucuses and other organizations (ten minutes per speaker?), followed by questions and clarifications. Then we would move to the broader discussion described in #2 above, with a break for lunch around 1:00. Then we would consider the question framed in #3 above, and possible steps toward further organization.