Whence Stalin's popularlity?

ChrisD(RJ) chrisd at russiajournal.com
Wed Mar 12 00:50:44 PST 2003

- -Well, Stalin¥s statistics would have something near to 8-10% of USSR - -population killed, however, I¥m deeply impressed by those 25% from - -Peter the Great. Probably those numbers are inflated. What were the - -Russia population in late 1600¥s?

Alexandre Fenelon --- Peter held the first-ever Russian census, but, oddly enough, I couldn't find it on the Internet. In 1897, Russia's population was 123 million. It is currently around 145 million (if high-end figures for illegal immigration are correct, Russia has actually gained people over the past decade).