Mother Of All Bombs

Ian Murray seamus2001 at attbi.com
Wed Mar 12 16:31:38 PST 2003

----- Original Message ----- From: "Carl Remick" <carlremick at hotmail.com> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 3:35 PM Subject: Re: Mother Of All Bombs

> >From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
> >
> >As reporter Thom Shanker helpfully explained in today's NY Times:
> >
> >>Officials said they were unaware if the name MOAB was chosen for a
> >>biblical reference. According to Genesis, Moab was born through an
> >>incestuous relationship between Lot and a daughter following the
> >>destruction of Sodom. The Book of Numbers tells how the Israelites
chose
> >>the Plains of Moab as their final camp before entering the Promised
Land.

> >I doubt this is an accident.
>
> "The calamity of Moab is near to come, and his affliction hasteth
fast." --
> Jeremiah 48:16
>
> Carl

Book of Numbers Balaam Summoned

22:2 Now Balak, son of Zippor, saw all that Israel did to the Amorites. 22:3 Indeed, Moab feared the Israelites greatly because of their numbers, and detested them. 22:4 So Moab said to the elders of Midian, "Soon this horde will devour all the country around us as an ox devours the grass of the field." And Balak, Zippor's son, who was king of Moab at that time, 22:5 sent messengers to Balaam, son of Beor, at Pethor on the Euphrates, in the land of the Amawites, summoning him with these words, "A people has come here from Egypt who now cover the face of the earth and are settling down opposite us! 22:6 * Please come and curse this people for us *; they are stronger than we are. We may then be able to defeat them and drive them out of the country. For I know that whoever you bless is blessed and whoever you curse is cursed." 22:7 Then the elders of Moab and of Midian left with the divination fee in hand and went to Balaam. When they had given him Balak's message, 22:8 he said to them in reply, "Stay here overnight, and I will give you whatever answer the LORD gives me." So the princes of Moab lodged with Balaam. 22:9 Then God came to Balaam and said, "Who are these men visiting you?" 22:10 Balaam answered God, "Balak, son of Zippor, king of Moab, sent me the message: 22:11 'This people that came here from Egypt now cover the face of the earth. Please come and lay a curse on them for us; we may then be able to give them battle and drive them out.'"