Illinois licenses: Funny but Sad

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 15 07:34:06 PST 2003

I read in Chicago Tribune this AM that the State of Illinois, in its wisdom, has decided to deny driver's licenses to _legal_ immigrants who do not have social security numbers. This chiefly affects the spouses of people who are here on green cards but do not have them themselves. It is supposed to be an antiterrrorism measure. One can imagine the terrorists attempting to conspire. "You drive the car bomb." "I can't, I don't have a valid Illinois driver's license." "Damn, neither do I. What do we do now?" "I guess we're stuck. We can't violatea minor traffic ordinance on the way to commiting mass murder Back to the drawing board." Other states with similar measures have exceptions for spouses and the like, but not Illinois. "This is no time to lower our standards." That's an actual quote.

jks