Khrushchev

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 15 13:59:12 PST 2003

K's agricultural policy was pretty dumb.His rule was also the heyday of Lysenkoism, very bad for agriculture. Nonetheless, the Soviet economy was going pretty much great guns under K, granted, it was coming back from less than nothing after the war devastation. But in the early 60s, serious observers, including hostile ones, looked at Soviet growth rates and believed that K's boast of overtaking the US economically by 1980 or thereabouts was credible, hard as it is to believe in retrospect. jks

Michael Perelman <michael at ecst.csuchico.edu> wrote:How about opening up the "virgin lands"?