Shell for "level playing field" in post-war Iraq

Ulhas Joglekar uvj at vsnl.com
Sat Mar 15 17:34:28 PST 2003

HindustanTimes.com

Saturday, March 15, 2003

Shell urges "level playing field" for oil in post-war Iraq

Agence France-Presse Washington, March 15

Oil companies must be given a level playing field in the Iraqi energy industry in the aftermath of any war in Iraq, Royal/Dutch Shell Group chairman Philip Watts said on Friday.

Asked how Shell might help rebuild Iraq after a conflict, Watts declined to go into details.

"I am not going to comment except to say that in the future I don 'think it will be simple and somehow there needs to be a level playing field and a rational way of making progress in the future," he said.

Industry sources said there were concerns among some foreign companies about the possibility of a future US occupation force favouring US firms when doling out contracts.

Watts was responding to a reporter's question at an energy roundtable here, organized by the European Institute.

US oil groups have met with Iraqi opposition figures in Past months to discuss how Iraq's oil industry could be developed in the event of a change of government.

Iraq controls about 11 per cent of the world's proven oil reserves or 112 billion barrels of oil, according to British Petroleum's 2002 statistical energy review.

© Hindustan Times Ltd. 2002. Reproduction in any form is prohibited without prior permission To send your feedback, via web click here or email feedback at hindustantimes.com