Dixie Chicks pulled off the air

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Sun Mar 16 06:08:56 PST 2003

" 'Just so you know,' Chicks lead singer Natalie Maines told the London audience, 'we're ashamed the president of the United States is from Texas.'

"On Friday she issued an apology.

" 'As a concerned American citizen, I apologize to President Bush because my remark was disrespectful,' Maines said. 'I feel that whoever holds that office should be treated with the utmost respect. We are currently in Europe and witnessing a huge anti-American sentiment as a result of the perceived rush to war. While war may remain a viable option, as a mother, I just want to see every possible alternative exhausted before children and American soldiers' lives are lost. I love my country. I am a proud American.' "

Ain't too proud to beg, sweet darlin' . . .

Hopefully, when Tommy Franks is running the Ba'ath Party apparatus, this lesson in democracy will teach the Iraqis how to speak about their leaders. Freedom ain't free, y'know.

DP