Dixie Chicks pulled off the air

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 16 11:01:39 PST 2003

Freedom's just another name for nothing left to lose. --Kris Kristofferson

Thomas Seay <entheogens at yahoo.com> wrote:--- Dennis Perrin wrote:
> Hopefully, when Tommy Franks is running the Ba'ath
> Party apparatus, this
> lesson in democracy will teach the Iraqis how to
> speak about their leaders.
> Freedom ain't free, y'know.

This is democratic free-market mccarthyism, isnt it? The "Dixie Chicks" were not going to be thrown in jail...the press was going to work their fans into a frenzy against them, thereby "democratically" blacklisting them. Self-righteous long-time fans would refuse to buy their records, attend their concerts; somebody would come up with a "cute" name for them like "the Dixie Traitors" and it would be repeated on the air ad infinitum. It's market forces...and the State would not have to lift a finger. This is the nature of mccarthyism today, if that's what we want to call it.

-Thomas

===== < eternally drawing satisfaction from the ceaseless flux of phenomena.>> -Nietzsche, "The Birth of Tragedy"