BW worries about GWB

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Mar 16 13:56:15 PST 2003

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>
> >Why separate the USG's action toward Iraq from its actions toward
> >Colombia, Korea, the Philippines, Venezuela, Yugoslavia, etc.?
>
> No reason to. I don't see why it's so hard to say the U.S. has long
> been brutally imperialist,

Neither do I, looked at abstractly; but concretely (at least in the conditions of the local movement here) it is confoundingly difficult to generate discussion of broader concerns. The number attending meetings and participating in activity is increasing rapidly, but no one really wants to talk about anything except how we can stop Bush.

The illustration of this is that the local group established a local maillist. A few people begin posting to it, some merely forwarding articles, others beginning discussion of some issues of the movement. There was a mammoth backlash from people who just did not want their mailboxes filled.* And no one wants to meet more often than once a month, those meetings being filled up with programs of some sort and/or announcement of immediately impending activities.

> and the current gang represents a turn for
> the worse. For them, Iraq is the first step in a long battle for
> intensified imperial supremacy.

> Doug

*On an entirely different topic. Assuming this dislike of "crowded" e-mail boxes is widespread, is it related to the success of telemarketing, spam, junk mail? Do large number of people feel some sort of necessity forcing them to open junk mail, read all e-mails, and answer the phone when it rings? How many subscribers to magazines look at every page? What proportion of those who purchase Sunday papers feel free to throw away the Parade section without looking at it? Et cetera?
:-)