Dixie Chicks pulled off the air

Brian O. Sheppard bsheppard at bari.iww.org
Sun Mar 16 18:28:42 PST 2003

On Sun, 16 Mar 2003, Dennis Perrin wrote:

> I'm sad to see the Chicks back down, but not surprised.

Sounded like typical showbiz playing to the crowd. When in London, say something that resonates. When called on it by conservative policemen back home, do the same. It's unfortunate because I suspect Maines, who claims to have been a punker before getting into country, probably really dislikes Bush.

To be fair, though, she just said she hated that he was from Texas. If he was from Utah, maybe it wouldn't have mattered so much?

> Country music
> culture is quite jingoistic and, at times, simply insane.

I agree, but so's a lot of rock n roll. (Ask Wojtek!) That's why it's nice to run into left-leaning country groups like the Toadliquors ("Disney is the Enemy"), or come across the occasional Rev Horton Heat -- a better Dallas musical export than the Chicks, imo -- ditty a la "Interracial Cowboy Homo Kinda Love".

> Last night, after
> a couple glasses of a fine Australian Cab....

Why, that sounds enchanting, Dennis!

Brian