Dixie Chicks pulled off the air

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Sun Mar 16 21:14:43 PST 2003

> Bush backers smash Dixie Chicks disks

Using a 33,000-pound tractor to obliterate compact disks and other items, a few hundred protesters, referring to themselves as backers of President Bush and Barksdale Air Force Base, lashed back at lead singer Natalie Maines...

Photo of Beatles album burning after John's, "More popular than Jesus, " remark, http://www.newsoftheodd.com/images/bonfire.jpg <URL: http://www.newsoftheodd.com/article1012.html >

Doing a google, I see that the Dixie Chicks had recently passed a record for ticket sales, and are doing quite well on the charts. <URL: http://launch.yahoo.com/read/news.asp?contentID=212512 > >...3/6/03, 7 a.m. ET) -- The Dixie Chicks made music history yet again when they sold more than 867,000 concert tickets in one day. Tickets to 59 of their Lipton Presents Dixie Chicks Top Of The World tour dates went on sale through Ticketmaster on Saturday (March 1). At day's end, 51 of the arena shows were already sold out, with few tickets left at the remaining eight shows, and totaling more than $49 million in sales. In doing so, the Dixie Chicks surpassed sales records set previously by Madonna, U2, the Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney, the Backstreet Boys, and *NSYNC. <URL: http://www.cmt.com/news/feat/charts.031503.jhtml > I'll check Billboard and do another google next week to see what, "Market McCarthyism, " effect occurs.

BTW, there is a new bio of Steve Earle, Justin. Hardcore Troubadour – The Live And Near Death Of Steve Earle Fourth Estate, US, February 2003) -- Michael Pugliese

"Without knowing that we knew nothing, we went on talking without listening to

each other. Sometimes we flattered and praised each other, understanding that

we would be flattered and praised in return. Other times we abused and shouted

at each other, as if we were in a madhouse." -Tolstoy