Imperial Reconstruction Mission in Iraq

Martin Hardie auskadi at cwpanama.net
Mon Mar 17 05:28:31 PST 2003

From the talk at the new transatlantic cooalitions cumbre in the Azores

it seems that the UN's role will be reduced to that it was given in Kosovo and Afghanistan, although more like the latter than the former. What I mean is that issues of colllective security are not decided by an organsation such as the UNSC (as was the dream of the founders of the UN and of international lawyers after 1990) but by the monarchy of the imperial regime. The Senate only has its role to play in reconstructing the local after the police action has run its course. But that role won't be of the type we saw in Cambodia, Timor or Kosovo where we had a UN Administartion (too costly, too cumberssome) but will take the form of the myriad of international organisations, NGO's and others asssiting the new local regime, coordinated through a UN Assistance Mission (let me guess it will be called UNAMI not IRAMI). I have mentioned to a few friends privately that in our war talk/opposition we not only have to opppose the war but also when/if it comes, resist, oppose or challenge the way of doing thiings that will be adopted by this Imperial reconstruction regime. Rest assured before any procedural "democratic" institutions are in place, Iraq will be locked in by the IMF and World Bank et al - the surface will be smoothed. iraqi's then cn fight over the scraps, assited by the aristocracy of Empire.

Thats all, some thought over breakfast for this sunny Saint Patrick's day... yesterday therew as a report on Spanish TV about the International brigades .... where and when do we start?