A Duty to Disobey All Unlawful Orders

Alan Jacobson alanjacobson at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 17 19:22:30 PST 2003

I am sure there is a lot of gung-ho shit going on in the combat units right now. However it is important to understand that most of the military units we have over there are not frontline combat units but them PLUS all the supporting units thats required for a 21st century army to function. Many of those units are mobilized reservists and NG units, because the US military has downsized those functions to the part time forces. These are not warrior types--they are the guy from the mail room who fixes trucks or the guidence counselor from the high school whos a Army nurse on the side. They are very aware of the flimsy basis for this aggression and IMHO will be disciplined but NOT HAPPY to be doing this.

BTW when I went through Army basic training in 1985, they instructed us on rules of engagement and the Geneva conventions and proper conduct in combat re civilians, etc. Its not like they spent tons of time on it, but it was brought up. We were all going into technical/support occupations--combat arms like armor and infantry, etc have combined basic and advanced training separate from the rest--so I dont know what they tell the folks with the serious firepower.

I do vividly remember the NBC training (nuclear, biological, chemical)--and didn't think it would do doodly-squat to save us in the event of an attack.

My career as a warrior was short, I got very very sick half way through basic and spent the next six months in a hospital, and was discharged out because of my medical condition. I did find out a lot about how things worked post-basic training from my fellow patients, however.

Alan Jacobson