Support our Troops

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Mon Mar 17 23:30:43 PST 2003

At 10:02 PM -0800 3/17/03, Gar Lipow wrote:
>Support Our Troops
>By Michael Albert
<snip>
>I support our troops not having to carry out orders from Commander
>in Chief George Bush and then having to live the rest of their lives
>wondering why they obeyed such a barbaric buffoon rather than
>resisting his illegitimate, immoral authority.

What would Michael Albert say to and about (A) the US troops and civilians who wish to and do carry out orders to help Bush & Co. wage the illegal preventive war on Iraq and take other unlawful actions elsewhere and (B) regular and irregular combatants (Iraqis, Filipinos, Colombianos, etc.) who counterattack them?

What if another devastating terrorist attack (or a wave of small-scale terrorist attacks) happened on the US soil and/or the anti-war movement got unexpectedly massive and militant? Enforcement of the Posse Comitatus Act of 1878 had already been relaxed before 9.11, and Bush & Co. want to further compromised it: Cf. <http://www.cdi.org/terrorism/pcomitatus.cfm>. What if one day US troops received orders to shoot and kill protesters here?

The rhetoric of "Support Our Troops" can become a petard by which we'll get hoisted. -- Yoshie