Loving and Killing

topp8564 at mail.usyd.edu.au topp8564 at mail.usyd.edu.au
Tue Mar 18 02:55:22 PST 2003

On 18/3/2003 2:28 PM, "lbo-talk-digest" <owner-lbo-talk-digest at lists.panix.com> wrote:

> i invite you to visit my neighborhood and talk to the fourteen year olds in
> my neighbrohood. no shit, the mil recruits them that young. they can sign
> up early with parental consent. next time yer headed to the US of A, look
> me up. i'll introduce you to Jamil, with whom I spoke at length the other
> day about his talk with the recruiters. talk to him about the tremendous
> amount of opps he has in life.

While I agree with you that people are offered some dodgy choices, lack of other opportunity is even weaker than the Nuremberg defence. Perhaps that is something to be taken into consideration, but I will reserve my solidarity for poor people who take up crime before I donate it to US Army recruits, no matter how disadvantaged. From my perspective that would manifestly insane.

But if you are talking about convincing kids not to join, that is an entirely reasonable thing to do. I just don't see what this has to do with talking to military people, or pitching our discourse in such a way as not to tread on nationalist toes.

Thiago

------------------------------------------------- This mail sent through IMP: www-mail.usyd.edu.au