Support our Troops

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Mar 18 06:39:04 PST 2003

Seth Ackerman wrote:

> Chuck0 wrote:
>
> > Once again we are witnessing the sorry spectacle of leftists
> > trying to reclaim the phrase "support our troops."
>
> How about "I hate our troops"? Or, "Fuck the goddam American troops".
> Or
> maybe, "We wouldn't hate the troops so much if they would smash a
> Starbucks."

One point to remember is that real leftist movements, either the kind that lead to major reforms or the kind that lead to revolution, are _never_ made up, for the most part, of leftists. They are made up of masses of people with the most varied individual motives (one of the reasons psychology is so irrelevant to left politics) and the most varied levels of political awareness. One of the reasons red-baiting campaigns so often focus not on reds but on "fellow travellers" is that it is primarily fellow travellers who make the revolution.

I don't like the slogan; I agree with Yoshie it can (probably will) backfire in many ways, but neither do I wish to drive out of the movement all those who, at present, are clinging to the slogan.

Carrol