Fw: letter from active duty reservist who does not want to deploy

John Thornton jthorn65 at mchsi.com
Tue Mar 18 20:47:50 PST 2003

My experience may not be typical but I "quit" the Navy in the September preceding the Gulf War by going into my CO's office and telling him what he could do with his war and telling him I wanted no part of it. He unleashed a torrent of threats and I told him to do whatever he felt he needed to but he could not make me change my mind. I received "other than honorable" discharge papers in the mail several weeks later. I'm not recommending this approach to others but it did work for me. I was aware of the risks of "quitting" and my chances of being deployed were very slim but I could not in good conscience stay in and go along.

John Thornton