"Saddam's apparatus of terror" willshatter"the whole world view of the left"

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Mar 18 21:26:57 PST 2003

Ian Murray wrote:

> That's why his email address was on the end of his
>
> j.freedland at guardian.co.uk
>
> Calm down, collect your thoughts and communicate with him..........

I probably will later. But decade after decade of the same lies endlessly repeated about the anti-war movement of the '60s wears one down. It seems that even large numbers of leftists today take their image of the anti-war struggle of the '60s from Time, Spiro Agnew & Bob Greene. This popular image of the '60s is _exactly_ the same sort of bullshit that I understand is already being spread about Rachel Corrie.

If U.S. troops massacre a whole village in Vietnam, that is an aberration.

If one anti-war protester makes a fool of him/herself someplace, that is _The Movement_.

And note that Freedlund did imply that "the movement" (not just a few strays) so treated returning veterans. It is incidentally quite probable that the whole thing is an urban legend -- that it didn't happen even one single time.

Carrol

> Ian

P.S. I do understand that in some American Legion posts returning Vets were mocked as "losers."