Putin's address to people of Chechnya on the eve of referendum

ChrisD(RJ) chrisd at russiajournal.com
Tue Mar 18 23:09:13 PST 2003

Full text and response.

BBC Monitoring Putin's address to people of Chechnya on the eve of referendum Source: RTR Russia TV, Moscow, in Russian 0500 gmt 17 Mar 03

[Presenter] Good morning, I'm Viktoriya Timofeyeva. Let me start with the statement made by the president of Russia. Vladimir Putin addressed the people of Chechnya in connection with the forthcoming referendum on the republic's constitution. It will be a historic event for Chechnya. For the first time a draft constitution prepared by Chechens themselves is being put

to a nationwide referendum.

[Putin] Good morning. Today I am addressing those who are living in Chechnya

and those to whom the fate of the Chechen Republic is dear. It is connected with the event which will take place in several days' time. A referendum on the republic's draft constitution and laws on presidential and parliamentary

elections will be held in the republic. It will not be an exaggeration to say that it will be an historical event for the Chechen people.

The referendum is an important step in fighting devastation, a step towards order. I am convinced that a constitution adopted by the people is the foundation for a political settlement in Chechnya. When adopted, the constitution will make it possible to elect a really democratic power which enjoys people's confidence.

You know that there have been many attempts to prevent the holding of the referendum. Acts of provocation and terror are still continuing in Chechnya,

attempts are being made to intimidate people. However, the people themselves

have the right to decide their future and adopt their constitution. The Chechen people will be able to enjoy this right on 23 March.

Peaceful life is being established in Chechnya although the process is not going as quickly as we would like. New electricity transmission lines have been laid and gas supplies has been resumed in many districts, hospitals and

schools are operating, students are continuing their studies, bread is being

harvested. These changes are invisible only to those who do not want to see them.

The constitution will give the Chechen people an opportunity to live their life independently and implement that very wide autonomy within Russia which

has been discussed a lot lately. For this purpose, following joint efforts a

special agreement between the [Russian] Federation and the republic will be drawn up and signed.

We must create a situation in which Russian citizens, residents of Chechnya,

no longer have to live in fear, to be afraid of every knock at the door in the night and to hide from so-called sweep operations. The people of Chechnya must have a decent human life. You know that the reduction of checkpoints has begun. The remaining ones should not be taking bribes from civilians but they should carry out quite a different function, that of fighting crime.

You know that a partial withdrawal of Defence Ministry and Interior Ministry

units is under way. In the future, only units based in Chechnya on a permanent basis should stay there. Their main task will be to assist local law-enforcement agencies and local police established by the Chechen Republic itself.

It's important to revive as soon as possible the industries that are vital for peoples' lives. We must help the enterprises that are directly involved in the production of food, basic commodities and construction materials. We must support the enterprises that build houses, schools, clinics and cultural facilities.

I should say that the federal government has already allocated significant sums of money to help the republic. Now our common task is to create a situation in which this money is spent efficiently. I know that there are serious questions to the federal government as well as to the republic's administration in this connection. Many problems are emerging in the course of the restoration work because of red tape and corruption.

I've already said that the referendum will open the way to the formation of new power bodies. One of their main tasks will be to control the spending of

budget funds.

We must also arrange the efficient use of Chechnya's rich natural resources,

especially of unique Chechen oil. The first steps have been taken towards the revival of the Chechen petrochemical complex. This wealth must be converted into a powerful tool for solving social and economic problems.

The Russian government is working on paying compensation to those whose houses and flats have been destroyed. According to preliminary estimates, about 280,000 citizens have no roof over their heads. The lists of those who

lost their houses should be verified by joint efforts, with the active participation of district administrations. Paying of compensation must start

as early as this year.

I must say that we feel especially strongly about the children of Chechnya. They went through non-childlike ordeals. But the Chechen children, like all Russian children, are our future. We'll give them good education and good knowledge, we'll put them on their feet.

The adoption of a constitution is a really serious milestone. This is the moment when the Chechen people will take their fate in their own hands. The future of your children and grandchildren, the future of the Chechen land itself is in your hands. That is why I call on you to participate in the referendum and make the right choice.

Thank you for attention.

BBC Monitoring Chechens divided on Putin's address Source: TVS, Moscow, in Russian 1400 gmt 17 Mar 03

[Correspondent] Yesterday's [16 March] address of Russian President Vladimir

Putin to the people of Chechnya was a surprise for many residents of the republic.

The first announcements about the coming address were made by local television only half an hour before it was broadcast. However, that was not the main reason why Putin's words were not heard at all by many people in Chechnya.

[Correspondent, talking to people in the street] Did you watch the TV yesterday?

[Unidentified man] We do not have electricity.

[U/i woman] I did not hear anything. What address? I don't know what address

you are talking about.

[Correspondent] And did you hear President Putin's address to the people of Chechnya yesterday?

[2nd u/i woman] No, we don't have electricity either.

[Correspondent] How long has that been the case?

[2nd u/i woman] For a long time now, since the war started.

[Correspondent] Those who heard the address view it differently.

[2nd u/i man] It seems that the president feels some concern [for people].

[3rd u/i man] Anyway, the head of state said this, and that should mean something. He is a guarantor of the constitution.

[2nd u/i man] There is one thing I did not understand, though. During the three years of the second Chechen war, has Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin ever

known that we have been expecting a knock on the door at night, that people are being abducted? Is it only now, just before the referendum, that people have learned what has been going on here? I would like to ask Putin these questions, if he can hear me, of course.