Zizek on iraq

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 19 10:45:02 PST 2003

--- BrownBingb at aol.com wrote:

> CB: Zizek seems to suggest a conspiracy theory here.
> Anyway, I think it's
> likely true to the extent that there have been
> members of the national

CB is right. It is posed as a conspiracy theory by Zizek. Zizek may be right but I can't quite accept it. I look upon the restriction of rights, etc, as an epiphenomenon. And this is where the rather superficial slogan of "No War" becomes problematic.

Although we may question whether or not the "terror alerts" of the past two years were bluffs or not, we can be almost certain that there will be further terrorist attempts in this country, and when that starts to happen, I think a rather large amount of people will be willing to trade in their rights for security, no? And who could blame them, if indeed terrorist attacks increase? I am afraid (am I wrong) that some of those people who are marching shoulder to shoulder with us in demonstrations will relent in the face of such danger...if not for themselves than for the protection of their families. It will make common sense to do so. Critics will be asked, "what should we do...allow ourselves to get blown up?"

How to answer such a question, if and when the govt. is not bluffing, if and when more attacks are made on american soil? I dont know how people will react. Will a lot of people suddenly realize that Bush's war and the history of American foreign policy are to blame for such hostility toward us and therefore to blame, in part, for such terrorist attacks? Will they then see that we need to radically change our government? Or will they not reach that conclusion and just accept the restrictions on freedom as a sad reality of contemporary life?

-Thomas

===== <<Be like me! The Primal Mother, eternally creative, eternally impelling into life,

eternally drawing satisfaction from the ceaseless flux of phenomena.>>

-Nietzsche, "The Birth of Tragedy"