Loving and Killing

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Mar 19 12:10:40 PST 2003

At 2:02 AM +1100 3/19/03, topp8564 at mail.usyd.edu.au wrote:
> > Everyone needs a paycheck, and joining the US military as a private
>> in "peace time" is much less morally consequential than, for
>> instance, cooking up more destructive weapons than ever at a
>> university or corporate lab, lobbying the US government to veto an
>> agreement that would allow poor nations to buy generic medicines to
>> fight AIDS, malaria, tuberculosis, and other diseases, creating mass
>> unemployment to squelch working-class rebellions, etc. (I put the
>> words "peace time" between quotation marks because the US government
>> has never been fully at peace with all the nations in the world at
>> least since WW2, even when it is not explicitly at war with one and
>> not mobilizing troops on a large scale).
>>
>> It's neither necessary nor desirable for leftists to demand that all
>> be pacifists unfailingly and refuse to join the military anywhere,
>> any time. One of the main points of calling on both US soldiers and
>> civilians (as well as their allied soldiers and civilians) to refuse
>> all unlawful orders to wage war on Iraq is to highlight the
>> illegality and immorality of the preventive war of aggression,
>> conquest, and colonization that the USG is about to launch, _even_ by
>> the standards of liberal democracy under capitalism.
>> - --
> > Yoshie
>
>Nuclear weapon designers and corporate lobbyists aren't at the
>bottom of the solidarity schedule, they're near the top of the
>elimination schedule...

What of assembly-line workers in munition factories, office workers in the military-industrial complex, etc.?

At 2:02 AM +1100 3/19/03, topp8564 at mail.usyd.edu.au wrote:
>In this sense the problem is irreducibly the presence of a large
>standing army.

The military is wasteful, and it is normally a burden on national economy, unless the military itself engages in the work of social reproduction, as they do in Venezuela and Ecuador. Americans ought to be given a chance to make a decision: a large standing army, a large prison population, and a large network of military contractors vs. a rich social welfare state that radically decreases fear of unemployment.

At 2:02 AM +1100 3/19/03, topp8564 at mail.usyd.edu.au wrote:
>Of course, in a parallel universe where international law isn't two
>jokes in one phrase, your course of action wouldn't be futile. I
>doubt it is entirely futile in this world: I suppose the net effect
>of what you suggest would be to highlight the utter lawlessness of
>international law, so that's perhaps a sensible thing to do.

I doubt that reminding all of a duty to disobey all unlawful orders makes a huge immediate difference in the war on Iraq, but we are in for a long-term struggle, and we must continue political education patiently. -- Yoshie