Zizek on iraq

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 19 12:37:36 PST 2003

>From: "Carl Remick" <carlremick at hotmail.com>
>
>War Means Rights May Be Scaled Back
>
>Tue Mar 18,10:46 PM ET
>
>UNIVERSITY HEIGHTS, Ohio - The government has room to scale back individual
>rights during wartime without violating the Constitution, Supreme Court
>Justice Antonin Scalia said Tuesday.
>
>"The Constitution just sets minimums," Scalia said after a speech at John
>Carroll University in suburban Cleveland. "Most of the rights that you
>enjoy go way beyond what the Constitution requires."

[Jeez, hard to keep up with this guy!]

March 19, 2003

Justice Scalia Bans Media From Speech

Filed at 3:11 p.m. ET

CLEVELAND (AP) -- Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia banned broadcast media from his speech Wednesday at an appearance where he received an award for supporting free speech.

Scalia did not mention the ban, which he insisted upon, and television reporters were allowed to see him accept the award before his remarks. The justice did not take any questions from reporters.

The City Club usually tapes speakers for later broadcast on public television, but Scalia insisted on banning television and radio coverage of his speech, the club said. Scalia was given the organization's Citadel of Free Speech Award.

"I might wish it were otherwise, but that was one of the criteria that he had for acceptance," said James Foster, the club's executive director.

The ban on broadcast media, "begs disbelief and seems to be in conflict with the award itself," C-SPAN vice president and executive producer Terry Murphy wrote in a letter last week to the City Club. "How free is speech if there are limits to its distribution?" ...

<http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/national/AP-Scalia-Media-Ban.html>

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ The new MSN 8: advanced junk mail protection and 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail