A Duty to Disobey All Unlawful Orders

Reese reeza at flex.com
Wed Mar 19 19:08:00 PST 2003

At 07:34 AM 3/18/2003 -0800, Willy Greenfields wrote:

>re: prosecuting U.S. servicemen, The Guardian reported
>last year that the American Service Members Protection
>Act "could theoretically empower the president to
>invade the Hague, where the ICC sits, or even Britain
>in order to free an imprisoned US soldier."

That's The Guardian for you, what a misnomer.

When I was stationed on a ship homeported outside of the US, one of our duties when we pulled into a certain port was to send meals to some incarcerated soul who wound up afoul of local law, I never learned the details but I have no reason to think that person was innocent and caught up in some macabre foreign plot to imprison interlopers. Not long after, I heard about someone caught trying to import cocaine into that same country, and getting caught. I think he got 10 years, popular wisdom says prison in that country is no joy ride.

Bottom line, shit happens and it happens all over. Gone are the days of the US invading to free a "wrongly" imprisoned US citizen, or wreaking vengeance for a US citizen "wrongly" abducted or killed. Shit happens. We are not special.

Reese