Everybody Have A Nice War!

DoreneFC at aol.com DoreneFC at aol.com
Thu Mar 20 03:45:08 PST 2003

In a message dated 3/20/2003 12:23:12 AM Pacific Standard Time, kjkhoo at softhome.net writes:

> Subj:Re: Everybody Have A Nice War!
> Date:3/20/2003 12:23:12 AM Pacific Standard Time
> From:<A HREF="mailto:kjkhoo at softhome.net">kjkhoo at softhome.net</A>
> To:<A HREF="mailto:lbo-talk at lists.panix.com">lbo-talk at lists.panix.com</A>
> Sent from the Internet
>

> DoreneFC at aol.com wrote:
> >shorter. Today Shrub's even promising to immediately let Kofi Annan
> >take over the oil for food program and begin humanitarian
> >assistance. I do not think the administration line would be
>
> "Take over the oil for food program".
>
> Did he really say that?
>
> You mean, Saddam's gone, but the sanctions stay? Else, why would
> there be an oil for food program?

Um actually I was listening to National Petroleum Radio so I am not sure who said what. I will watch the papers and listen again to check.

Sadly, probably it's a measure of how low standards have gotten, but in the short term I consider having Kofi Annan administer Oil for Food FAR preferable to having a US occupying force salivating about oil proceeds to pay for the cost of the, cough, "liberation."

But you're absolutely right, the sanctions regime should go immediately. The UN escrow account should be dismantled. Direct US meddling should stop and the US should get rid of its ridiculous and arbitrary export license process. So no victory dances for peaceniks yet.

And how much do you want to bet before Iraq gets rid of sanctions we are going to have to endure a long stream of searches for banned weapons that Iraq says don't exist? The side of me that quite justifiably does not trust Shrub any further than I can throw him thinks that the UN inspectors will be needed as much or more after the departure of Saddam as before if only to keep pounding on the gaps between "intelligence" provided by the US and the actual facts on the ground.

DoreneC -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20030320/b0eec354/attachment.htm>