Everybody Have A Nice War!

topp8564 at mail.usyd.edu.au topp8564 at mail.usyd.edu.au
Thu Mar 20 06:22:45 PST 2003

> Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 20:45:45 -0800 (PST)
> From: dredmond at efn.org
> Subject: Re: Everybody Have A Nice War!
>
> On Wed, 19 Mar 2003, mike larkin wrote:
>
>> Why do I get this feeling this war is going to be over in about 20
>> seconds, and that Bush is going to end up making fools of the anti-war
>> ("millions will die") movement?
>
> This was never about one country. This is the test bed for a whole wave of
> wars to come. The moment Baghdad falls, al-Qaeda wins. Zizek is right: the
> oiligarchy is starting a fire it cannot and does not really want to
> control. They *want* the catastrophe, you see: they want a 9-11 every
> Sunday, so they can wage unending petro-wars and keep the US frozen in
> permanent lockdown.

I used to think this was a nutty take, but I am starting think that there really is a kind of chiliastic drive in these guys. There is a pretty clear preference for using force, sometimes that becomes so intense it looks an awful lot like the belief in the cleansing power of Fire from Above. These people seem to revel in the whole Holy Warrior ethic; they seem totally caught up in a project unto death. From their perspective "petro-war" is mass, and permanent lockdown purification. The system is self contained - anyone who complains isn't even making an intelligible utterance. They are just out of the loop. How do you decipher nuanced dissent when you think in terms of totalized monstrosities like Freedom, God and Western Civilization? That would be like fixing a watch with a sledgehammer. And so it spirals on: Money, God, death, fixation on oozing juices from the earth, the cathexis of bombs, the Heaven's Gate stare of the President - someone has to send the White House to Vienna, ASAP. There literally is no reasoning with these guys; who knows where they are going, frankly, you'd have to be mad to risk finding out.

Thiago

------------------------------------------------- This mail sent through IMP: www-mail.usyd.edu.au