Vietnam Vets Called Losers

Willy Greenfields filthydirtyunwashed at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 20 08:15:48 PST 2003

The Stevenson book is only the most recent place I've run across stories of older VFW and Legion vets calling VN vets losers in print.

There's also Burkett and Whitley book, which in addition to what I remeber as anecdotal evidence of a Texas VFW post's contempt for Vietnam vets, advanced a remarkable thesis: after asserting that Vietnam Vets are socio-demographically a largely successful group, Burkett and Whitley charge that the endurance of the popular (false) image of Vietnam Vets as drug-addled/unstable/homeless/criminal implicates us all as contemptuous of Vietnam vets. Pretty damning stuff, but that wasn't what this thread was initially about.