Hostility towards Pacifists explained....

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 20 10:26:29 PST 2003

>From: "Kevin Robert Dean" <qualiall at union.org.za>
>
>Gettysburg College
>20-Mar-03
>
>Philosophy Prof Questions Desire for Invulnerability
>Library: LIF-ART
>Americans live in a culture of fear that prizes security
>and dreads vulnerability above everything else. This need
>to feel safe is why many react angrily to pacifists ...

... and why Americans are so enthusiastic about plutocrats who destroy social safety nets, wipe out pension funds, vitiate workplace safety rules, degrade environmental standards and, above all, start wars that invite terrorist retaliation in the US?

I dunno, either Prof. Walters' philosophical speculations are too subtle for me or there are some grave flaws in the logic of Americans' world view ;-)

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ MSN 8 with e-mail virus protection service: 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?page=features/virus