Fw: Defending My Freedom

soil ride solrde at msn.com
Thu Mar 20 15:53:23 PST 2003

----- Original Message ----- From: David To: Vets Call to Conscience Sent: Thursday, March 20, 2003 6:18 PM Subject: Defending My Freedom

Defending My Freedom

I am sitting here defending my freedom. By that, I mean exercising my freedom. By that, I mean opposing this naked aggression on Iraq. In agreement, freedom is moot. I revel in defiance because defiance makes me free. I defy this Government. I defy this President. I defy these soldiers. I defy; therefore I am free.

It has been said, "Give me liberty or give me death." We will all have death. The question remains; will I live in freedom or in fear? No soldier gives me the ability to think, the ability to express my thoughts, or the ability to act. A soldier may take my arms, my legs, my voice, or my life; but a soldier cannot take me. At best, a soldier is a babys blanket for freedom that diminishes fear but offers no substantial protection. How can a soldier protect that which he does not possess? No soldier invading Iraq will make me free.

By what twisted logic do soldiers tell me they defend my freedom? First, soldiers, "give up their freedom so that they may defend the freedom of others." This is impossible. By giving up their freedom, soldiers might be used to threaten freedom or to defend freedom. The soldiers follow orders in either case. Attacking and destroying a nation and killing its people "preemptively" on flimsy pretenses and unproven assertions is not defending my freedom.

By voluntarily giving up their own freedom, soldiers damage the cause of freedom for all. To defend freedom, soldiers should refuse to give up their freedom. Soldiers should obey their conscience without question, not their orders without question. Let us, without orders, try to convince the soldiers to leave their families and their lives to fly across an ocean for the purpose of attacking a people that has not attacked us and poses us no palpable threat . Let us, without half-truths, mistruths, propaganda and lies; convince the soldiers to do this. This would be freedom. This would be the end of soldiers and the end of war. This would be the end of the preemptive attack on Iraq.

Soldiers fly and sail and drive and march and intimidate and destroy and kill. In this way, it is said, they prevent others from causing me fear and harm. Perhaps this makes some feel safer, but those that need to feel safe to feel free are neither safe nor free. Defeating Iraq is but a distraction. Defeat your fears and you will be free.

Consider the soldiersvictims. Are they not encouraged to fly and sail and drive and march and intimidate and destroy and kill in response? Will not the sons and daughters and family and friends and countrymen and all the descendants of those killed, and crippled, and destitute, and diseased cry for revenge? How does this improve my safety? When was the war to end all wars? I must have missed it. This war in Iraq will certainly make me less safe for the rest of my life.

I oppose this government that demands my money, and this President who uses it to violate the peace. I oppose this President who assaults those who have not assaulted me. I oppose this President who invades, bombs, kills, assassinates, destroys, and sows fear and death. For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. I oppose this President who, by his aggression invites aggression; who by his violence, invites violence; who by causing death, invites death. I declare my independence from this self-destructive system. I wash my hands of this invasion of Iraq.

Why should I rally behind The United States Commander in Chief? Because I am free, I resist. My conscience is my Commander in Chief. Peace, Truth, Justice and Freedom are my generals. This is my land. I was born here. I have no other land. The government of the United States of America, a co-inhabitant of this land, claims sovereignty over me. By claiming me as its own, it purports to make me free. This Government demands the results of my labor so that it might live and act. Though I do not give permission, though I resist, this government uses the fruits of my labor to send soldiers to destroy, to maim, and to kill in my name. By this, it purports to defend my freedom. If I resist, this government may follow me, eavesdrop on my conversations, and keep me under video surveillance, strip search me at airports, keep secret files on my past and present activities, and similarly treat my family and friends. If my peaceful expressions of my freedom make this Government insecure, or if I refuse its demands, this Government will send police and eventually soldiers to my door. Though I resist peacefully and am a danger to no person, though I seek only to act conscientiously and defend my freedom, this Government will place me in handcuffs and imprison me. If I resist, if I protest, this Government, this President, these soldiers promise "serious consequences" and will use "all necessary force" to subdue me. This Government, this President, these soldiers may force me to the ground, kick me and beat me with sticks until I am unconscious, or sodomize me with a broomstick. This Government, this President, these soldiers may shoot and kill me for demonstrating on campus, or they may pump poison gas into my house to choke me, and ignite it to burn me to death. This is how the Government of the United States, the President, and the soldiers defend my freedom. God Bless America.

Vets Call to Conscience <calltoconscience at yahoo.com> wrote:

Note: forwarded message attached.

Do you Yahoo!? Yahoo! Platinum - Watch CBS' NCAA March Madness, live on your desktop! > ATTACHMENT part 2 message/rfc822 From: "David Pugh" To: "Education Committee" Subject: Teaching Resources about US War on Iraq Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 22:58:35 -0500

Dear fellow teachers and anti-war activists,

Below are some resources on the impending US war on Iraq that teachers in some middle and high schools in NYC are beginning to use. There's a lot more out there. But what every serious progressive teacher wants to know is: What will connect best with my students and their experiences? What will move them to think, feel and act?

Let's get a nationwide exchange of compelling materials and inspiring teaching experiences going. Can educators' organizations with strong track records of opposing U.S. military interventions take the lead in this--by means of a website, list serve, etc.? Rethinking Schools comes to my mind first.

If United for Peace & Justice, ANSWER, Not In Our Name, No Blood for Oil, supporters of the struggles in Palestine, Vieques, Colombia, Philippines and Korea (and a whole lot of other folks) can mobilize and work together, progressive educators need to do the same. Holler back, soon! Dave Pugh, NYC

______________________

(1) 13 MYTHS ABOUT THE CASE FOR WAR IN IRAQ

(2) Teaching About The War - A Rethinking Schools Special Collection [from: http://www.rethinkingschools.org/war]

(3) Iraq War Stats from the NY Village Voice How the Coming War Stacks Up - Blood, Stats, and Tears

====================

(1) 13 MYTHS ABOUT THE CASE FOR WAR IN IRAQ

[from: http://www.rightwatch-admin@democracygroups.org ]

CONTENTS: Myth 1: Removing Saddam Will Punish 9/11 Perpetrators Myth 2: Powell Presented Strong Evidence at UN Myth 3: Saddam May Soon Threaten US Myth 4: Experts 'Discover' Prohibited Missile Myth 5: Bin Laden Tape Proves Iraq Connection Myth 6: Iraq Still Has Large Nuclear Program Myth 7: If US Pulls Out Now, It Looks Bad Myth 8: A Cheap, Easy War Myth 9: Wartime Press is Free and Unbiased Myth 10: Goal is to Free Iraqis, Not to Grab Oil Myth 11: War Solves the Energy Crisis Myth 12: UN Commitments Don't Really Matter Myth 13: Protesting a War is Unpatriotic

Introduction

The United States government has now amassed over 200,000 war-ready troops in the Persian Gulf. The government argues that the forced removal of Iraq's government is necessary to protect us and the world from terrorism.

Other countries that have also been the victims of terrorism have been reluctant to join the U.S. in this war. Even in Great Britain, the strongest U.S. ally, polls show that 82-86% of the public oppose initiating a war without approval by the United Nations. Many British reservists are refusing to fight.

At no time in the last 30 years has our government put our troops into the battlefield in the face of such widespread opposition. Therefore, it is appropriate to examine: why are so many countries now opposed to a war in Iraq? Are those opposing war simply apologists for Saddam Hussein? Do the arguments of those advocating unilateral war stand up under scrutiny?

full text at: http://13myths.com/

====================

(2) Teaching About The War - A Rethinking Schools Special Collection [from: http://www.rethinkingschools.org/war]

As war with Iraq looms, teachers everywhere are struggling with how to raise critical issues -- about this conflict in particular and the history of U.S. military interventions around the world -- with their students.

The new issue of Rethinking Schools is now online and includes "Teaching About The War", a special collection of articles and resources for teachers.

The collection is available at:

http://www.rethinkingschools.org/war

"Teaching About the War" includes background readings, lesson plans, ready-to-xerox maps of the Middle East (both with and without country names in place) and extensive lists of anti-war organizations and web-based resources. Most materials are available in PDF format for easy downloading and copying.

We will be updating this collection regularly as events unfold, so be sure to check back often. And we invite you to submit material for this collection by contacting us at rethink at execpc.com.

This is a critical moment for the United States and for our schools. As school districts across the country are being forced to absorb astronomical budget cuts, our nation's leaders are nonchalantly gearing up for a war that even conservatives are estimating will cost tens of billions of dollars to wage. "Teaching About the War" will help you make the connections between these issues, and bring them home to your students.

Leon Lynn Rethinking Schools 1001 E. Keefe Ave. Milwaukee, WI 53212 USA 414/964-9646 Fax: 414/964-7220 E-mail: rsleon at execpc.com http://www.rethinkingschools.org

Teaching About the War on Iraq
| pdf

Map of the Middle East

suitable for printing Letter size

Map of the Middle East and North Africa

suitable for printing Letter size

Map of the Middle East without names < http://www.rethinkingschools.org/special_reports/maps/8x11_nameless. pdf> suitable for printing Letter size

Drawing on History to Challenge the War
| pdf

By Polly Kellogg Using Hidden Wars of Desert Storm in the classroom.

* Alternative Media Websites
| pdf

Entering History Through Poetry
| pdf

By Linda Christensen Poetry can help students examine the consequences of war.

Teaching Gulf War II
| pdf

By Bill Bigelow Lessons can encourage students to question the official story on Iraq.

* More Student-friendly Articles
| pdf

Oakland Teach-in Galvanizes Students and Teachers
| pdf

By Catherine Capellaro Students of Color with the anti-war movement.

* Teach-in Postponed Until Pro-war Side Added
| pdf

* Elementary Students Advocate for Peace
| pdf

No Child Left Uncrecruited
| pdf

By Harold Jordan Description.

Teaching with Protest Songs
| pdf

By Bob Peterson Description.

* War Statistics
| pdf

What War Looks Like
| pdf

by Howard Zinn Noted historian explains the realities of war. A powerful essay to use directly with students.

* Teaching Ideas
| pdf

How Many Must Die?

pdf An explanation of the background and consequences of the sanctions policy used by the United States against Iraq.

Prominent Voices on Iraq
| pdf

Useful quotations on the situation in Iraq.

What is Islam?
|pdf

by Semya Hakim An explanation of the basics of Islam.

Facts about Arabs

pdf

by Marvin Wingfield A short list that gives background and breaks stereotypes.

Attacks on Muslims and Arab Americans
| pdf

A summary of some of the attacks against Muslims and Arab Americans in post 9-11 United States.

We and They
| pdf

By Lucille Clifton A student friendly poem that looks at the "othering" of different people in terms that students can understand.

"A World Up Close,"
| pdf

By Bob Peterson A 5th grade teacher helps his students explore issues of war and terrorism as they look at the war in Afghanistan.

When Silence is Betrayal
| pdf

By Dr. Martin Luther King The classic anti-war speech by Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. An excellent jump off point for teachers to discuss the current situation in Iraq. Teaching ideas included.

Songs for Global Conscience
| pdf

An annotated listing of songs about global justice issues. Also see "protest songs about Iraq"

Chicano Students Against the War
| pdf

A brief report on a resolution against the war..

Educate for Global Justice: A Key Lesson from Sept. 11
| pdf

By Rethinking Schools Editors Article highlighting the importance of teaching about global issues from a pro-justice point of view.

Defeating Despair

pdf By Bill Bigelow High school teacher Bill Bigelow how in our attempt to do global justice education we must teach in such a way that we don't present a "curriculum of despair."

Whose Terrorism?

pdf By Bill Bigelow A powerful lesson for middle and high school students to examine the nature of terrorism and role that the United States and other countries play in its perpetuation.

What is Terrorism? Who are the Terrorists?
| pdf

By Bill Bigelow Handout for use with the article "Whose Terrorism?"

The Marines Have Landed
| pdf

By Bob Peterson A student friendly summary of the major military interventions by the United States. Useable in upper elementary, middle school, and high school classes.

Resources

(3) Iraq War Stats from the NY Village Voice

How the Coming War Stacks Up Blood, Stats, and Tears

* Number of Iraqis killed during the first Gulf War: 100,000

* Number of Americans killed during the "Black Hawk Down" episode in Mogadishu in 1993: 18 * Number of Somalis killed during the "Black Hawk Down" episode in Mogadishu in 1993: 500 to 1000

* Number of Americans killed during the Vietnam War: 58,000 * Number of Vietnamese killed during the Vietnam War: 5.1 million

* Number of American soldiers poised for attack at the borders of Iraq: 100,000 * Number of Iraqis and Americans who, doctors say, might die in the next war: 48,000 to 260,000 * Number of additional deaths expected from the civil war within Iraq following an invasion: 20,000 * Number of additional deaths expected from "post-war adverse health effects": 200,000 * Number of total deaths if nuclear weapons are used: 3,900,000

[ Full text: http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0306/harkavy.php ]

Do you Yahoo!? Yahoo! Platinum - Watch CBS' NCAA March Madness, live on your desktop!