Unprovoked LAPD attack email

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Thu Mar 20 21:35:43 PST 2003

Wasn't there today but it was reported on the radio that thousands were at the Federal building and that is only one location here in LA where people are gathering.

from an email: Sheriffs deputies unprovokely attack the peaceful anti war demonstration at the Westwood Federal Building today.

Seems like old times.

I got there early and the crowd slowly group to about 2500 at around Six. Before that, a large group of Sheriff deputies placed themselves on the grass and were armed with shotguns, tear gas and rubber bullet guns. As the evening word on more and more cops, LAPD, Highway Patrol and more Sheriffs arrived, in parades no less. Sepulveda Blvd was shut down.

But nothing was going at with the demonstrators. The most they were doing, which including alot of high school kids and other young people were cross the crosswalks and doing a die in and then walking on, delaying traffic maybe for 20 seconds.

I was video taping. They blocked off Veteran, so many folks spilled out on to it. I heard one cop tell another, "are we going to let them stay in the street" which was blocked off anyway. About 5 minutes later without warning, a line of Sheriffs attacked those in the street and crosswalk.

I was hit in the face while video tapping, havent watch the tape yet.

A girl next to me was hit to the ground and she was hurt.

Of course we all had no where to go, since the crowd and other barriers were blocking us.

I had to leave around 7 30 and before I did, saw the police bring up a couple buses. But everyone was all up on the sidewalk, chanting, no war, the whole world is watching etc.

Seems to me the local police have gotten new orders. Crack down on anti-war demonstrations. Yesterday they beat young girls with billy clubs.

-- Marta Russell Los Angeles, CA http://www.disweb.org