Where Are the Protesters??!

Bryan Atinsky bryan at indymedia.org.il
Fri Mar 21 04:31:10 PST 2003

A friend of mine from Milwaukee sent me this press release (below) of an anti-war demo by Peace Action.

In Israel, it is quiet with regard to protests against Iraqi war, but Ta'ayush is going to have a large food-aid convoy into the West Bank tomorrow (I will most likely go along, so I will give info on that tommorow).

Bryan

------------------------------------------------------------ Update: 9 members of Peace Action WI were arrested among the 18 people who attempted to block the doors. They are in processing for the trespassing citations. For more information, contact George Martin at 414-745-5740 [Posted 03/20/2003]

PRESS RELEASE

Peace Action WI Blocks Reuss Federal Plaza with "Non-Violent Civil Disobedience" In Protest of War on Iraq. Wednesday March 19th 11:45am Reuss Federal Plaza - 3rd & Wisconsin Ave.

As the Bush Administration poises to attack Iraq, members of Peace Action Wisconsin will block the Reuss Federal Plaza's front doors. They are using their right to dissent in protesting the impending near 500,000 deaths of innocent Iraqi people and our own troops caught in the revolving door of this war.

The Reuss Federal Plaza has been targeted because it contains three Federal offices:

Internal Revenue Service - Wisconsin residents' individual income taxes would pay a minimum of $1,432,000,000 for this war. US Military Entrance Processing Station - War puts our troops and family members at risk of injury, post traumatic stress disorders and death unnecessarily. Sen. Herb Kohl - Abdicated the Senate's power of "checks and balances" by giving the Bush Administration unconstitutional pre-emptive authority for war. Peace Action Wisconsin, one of the largest grass roots peace organizations in the country and member of National Peace Action states that:

It is crystal clear that the Bush Administration never had any intention of letting weapons inspectors finish their work in Iraq, in spite of the fact they were making tremendous progress in disarming Saddam Hussein. President Bush never made the case that Iraq posed an imminent threat to the US justifying a costly and bloody takeover of Iraq. This Administration has transgressed International Law, the US Constitution, our Civil Liberties and Political/Corporate Finance Ethics for economic and geo-political reasons. We are going to see anti-US actions around the globe like we've never seen it before. As a result of this reckless war, Americans are going to be less safe at home and abroad, not more.