Dems wave the flag

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Mar 21 06:42:51 PST 2003

New York Post - March 21, 2003

DASCHLE AND DEMS DITCH DIVISION AND RALLY 'ROUND DUBYA BY DEBORAH ORIN

WASHINGTON - A few days after blaming President Bush for war with Iraq - and getting blasted for it - Senate Democratic Leader Tom Daschle yesterday said it's time to unite behind the commander-in-chief.

"We may have differences of opinion about what brought us to this point, but the president is the commander-in-chief, and today we unite behind him," Daschle (S.D.) said at a news conference where Democrats rallied behind the war.

House Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) - an outspoken critic of Bush - said: "May God bless our courageous forces and their brave families. May God bless the president of the United States."

Daschle touched off a firestorm Monday by saying America was going to war because Bush "failed miserably" at diplomacy, adding he was saddened that America might "give up one life" because of what he billed as Bush's failings.

Republicans hit the roof and the White House protested Daschle's remarks, but he nevertheless said yesterday that he was given advance notice of the first strike soon after Bush gave the order around 7 p.m. Wednesday and about two hours before it took place.

Daschle said National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice called him, as a member of the Senate leadership, at 7:30 p.m. and gave him "sufficient information to give me a pretty good understanding of what was about to be reported publicly."

Democratic candidates - both supporters and opponents of the war - said they're praying for the troops, though a few noted their disagreements with Bush.