Fwd: (en) US, demo in Chicago

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 21 07:52:39 PST 2003

Lawyers from the NLG and other people's law organizations in Chicago have tentative information on 800+ arrests last night. We're trying to put together representation for them. About 40 people committed civil disobedience at the Federal Bldg at 8.30 am The cops were fairly correct, but the intersections were blocked by ninjas without badges who refused to show their ID or give their names. One of them said to me, You doubt we're Chicago Police? I said, I'd like to see your credentials. jks

> Last I knew the police were arresting people and a friend just called to say
that people are still boxed in right now and are waiting for police to bring in new buses to put people one -the word is two police buses filled with arrested people, probably about 100 people.

Estimates I heard for turnout were between 1,000 and 3,000 people, but I think there were more than that as this is the biggest demo in Chicago I've been to.

It was interesting that so many people marched - more than were at the rally, a number of people kept saying "where did they all come from?" People on the sidewalks were very supportive and applauded and joined in a lot. Over all the whole atmosphere was very festive and fairly militant compared to most actions here. Tomorrow morning there's civil disobedience and then another rally in the evening. Apparently the bourgeious (sp?) press is giving this a lot of coverage, whatever that means, saying it's the biggest or one of the biggest of the day's actions in the US.

I'm told a lot of high school (and in one instance, kids as young as 11 to 13) have been walking of school and holding spontaneous demos. That was the most part of tonight, all the different ages of people (and the racial composition was more diverse, ie less white, than usual actions here) and the spontaneity of it all - no one was leading it so much as we all just marched where we wanted (until the police finally stopped us.)

All in all it was highly spirit-boosting event after a day spent listening to radio reports in the car of the war. I'd love to hear more from San Francisco and anywhere else. N.

******* ******** ****** The A-Infos News Service ****** News about and of interest to anarchists ****** COMMANDS: lists at ainfos.ca REPLIES: a-infos-d at ainfos.ca HELP: a-infos-org at ainfos.ca WWW: http://www.ainfos.ca/ INFO: http://www.ainfos.ca/org