Protesters Carjacking?

JBrown72073 at cs.com JBrown72073 at cs.com
Fri Mar 21 10:24:57 PST 2003

>"After 16 hours of fighting communists and anarchists,
>a Red Bull can help us go another 16 hours," said Sgt
>Rene Laprevotte as he bought two cans of the energy
>drink at a Fifth Street market. "We're here as long as
>they are."

Along with the normal pro-war shouts we got the (new to me) "Look at all the terrorists!!"

The pro-war ones I was in 'dialog' with couldn't decide whether they wanted to 'kick their ass, get their gas' or defend the poor oppressed Iraqis from the evil dictator. They didn't answer when I asked, OK, which is it? But one of the ones that seemed so concerned with the poor Iraqis under the evil dictator was later seen in his truck screaming epithets and threats at the Islamic Student Center (we recorded the tag.) But I should say, it was mostly positive and good-humored, with the pro-war types in the crowd not making trouble and at least one cop flashing a peace sign. Lots of support, as usual, from drivers.

In the local paper today, random man on the street Rick Muzzey, 25, is quoted: "A good friend of mine is over there right now. I'd hate to lose him to a war over something that I really don't think is a concern with all the defense we have over here in America. But on the other hand, if it will make gas prices cheaper, I'm all for that." Wait'll he finds out it's partly to keep gas prices from dropping.

Jenny Brown