Disciplinarian populism (was: Hostility towards Pacifistsexplained....)

Chip Berlet cberlet at igc.org
Sat Mar 22 09:20:47 PST 2003

Hi,

See below.

<<SNIP>>

Actually, I agree with what Wojtek wrote above. Laclau was focusing just on class, but the model works with race, gender, sexuality, etc. The dynamics of oppression are multi-layered, and coalitons are fluid. In the Promise Keepers, for example, gender and sexualty trump race and clas, so that Black and White men bond together across class lines to assert dominance over women and to make homosexuals the "Other".

-Chip