Ta'ayush food convoy to Karawat Bani Hasan

Bryan Atinsky bryan at indymedia.org.il
Sat Mar 22 11:09:38 PST 2003

Hey all,

Went to the Ta'ayush food convoy today...went well, mostly sunny, good people...it was a little bit of inspiration in these dark days.

I will have pictures of the convoy up by tomorrow...

I'll send a link

Bryan

Wrote this up for now....

----------------------------------------- While the US and British Governments drops tons of bombs on the Iraqi people, a joint group of approximately 300 Jewish and Palestinian citizens of Israel and tens of Internationals brought a semi-truck load of over 40 tons of flour to the Palestinian village of Karawat Bani Hasan, situated in the Tsalfit district of the central West Bank.

The hills surrounding the village are occupied by the two settlements of Barkan and Netafim, another newer small settlement outpost and the Barkan Industrial Zone.

Because the village is not so distant from the large Israeli settlement of Ariel, there is a looming danger that the line of the planned ‘security wall ’ will encompass the land of the village and eventually be annexed to Israel.

The military some time ago dug up the main road into the village and put up a series of four earthen barricades across the road, every twenty or so meters. Villagers can not go in or out of the village by automobile, but must park their car at the first barricade, which has become a makeshift parking lot, and walk the approximately 150 meters to the final barricade before they reach the unblocked portion of the main road.

The day went quite smoothly. Everyone lined up and moved the 60 kilo sacks by hand over the barricade into waiting tractors, which were then taken into the village. Must have been 15-20 tractor loads to take it all.

No settlers harrased us...only 5-8 soldiers standing around in the olive groves watching us with bored looks...

Then we all walked into the village, made a couple of speeches...rained a bit and then we made our way home...