Support the Troops reduxe...

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sat Mar 22 20:56:07 PST 2003

On Sat, 22 Mar 2003, Michael Pollak wrote:

> And as for victory sweeping all before it, surely you of all people know
> better.

Lou Paulsen had a comment the other day I thought was on the mark. He said the perennial spike in public opinion when our boys went into battle could be partially explained as a coping mechanism. If you support it, you can feel good and powerful, and on the side of right, and winning. And part of the national community. And if you oppose it, you will be filled with rage at your country and feelings of impotence and constantly goaded at both points. It's not hard to see how people who felt they had a choice would choose the other.

The flipside is that I think we have to realize that, in a position like that, people like us will sometimes get depressed. It's just a natural socio-psychological reaction.

Sometimes the people of the world just need some rest. And a time out.

Michael