Civil rights advocates worried about 'code red'

Sat Mar 22 21:42:43 PST 2003

Associated Press March 22, 2003 HARTFORD, Conn. -- Civil rights advocates are concerned about the implications of a "code red" security designation, which could force ordinary citizens into lockdown.

The Journal-Inquirer of Manchester reported that state police have said that the highest security threat designation could lead to orders for citizens to stay indoors, or face arrest.

"Civil liberties cannot be suspended just because we're in time of war," said Teresa Younger, executive director of the Connecticut Civil Liberties Union. "We need to remain vigilant for our rights and have to assume that people will do what's best for themselves."

The highest level on the nation's alert system means a terrorist attack is imminent. The U.S. Department of Homeland Security elevated the national alert status to "code orange" Tuesday.

more... http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/news/local/state/hc-22201122.apds.m0901. bc-ct--codemar22,0,6088987.story?coll=hc-headlines-local-wire