Support the Troops reduxe, or, why we are losing the anti-war

Lance Murdoch MurdochLance at netscape.net
Sat Mar 22 22:23:52 PST 2003

Chuck0 said:
> If anything can be said to counter
> the simplistic, patriotic message of "Support Our Troops," it could be
> something that brings up the shitty treatment of veterans after the war.
>
> Perhaps: "Support Our Troops: Don't Treat Them Like Gulf War Veterans"

...how about "Support Our Troops: Don't let the army blow their brains out on Louisana Avenue if they come back and rally for veteran benefits"... Zinn only gives it 2 pages in his book, forget about regular school books...for our foreign friends here - in 1932 WWI veterans went to Washington to rally for a bill to push some veteran's bonus they were supposed to get back from 1940 or so to 1932, because they needed it in 1932, when they were broke, unemployed, possibly homeless and even going hungry. The house passed the bill overwhelmingly but the senate killed it. Then the army marches out, blows some polack veteran away, gives some lady a miscarriage who was there with her husband because she didn't know the army was going to attack the veterans, plus whatever assorted shooting and clubbing over the head, then the army goes in with tanks and so forth and burns the camps the veterans had been in and so forth and so on. The whole thing is interesting, and makes good readi

ng. Fast forward to Atomic Cafe, with the soldiers walking into an atomic explosion as a test (the footage for that is incredible, almost unbelievable), then the existing material like Ron Kovic's book on VA hospitals and so forth, the coverup about Agent Orange... Doesn't matter, you'll still get a bunch of American Legion Marines in a heartbeat to bust up big strikes if we still had them...the best way to get someone to want to defend the system is to have the system crack them over the head with a bat repeatedly...one of the curious phenomenon of the human condition.

__________________________________________________________________ Try AOL and get 1045 hours FREE for 45 days! http://free.aol.com/tryaolfree/index.adp?375380

Get AOL Instant Messenger 5.1 for FREE! Download Now! http://aim.aol.com/aimnew/Aim/register.adp?promos=380455