Support the Troops (and so on)

Catherine Driscoll catherine.driscoll at arts.usyd.edu.au
Sun Mar 23 04:08:58 PST 2003

Today's Sydney demo very subdued, quiet. There was also a great deal of discomfort among some with the "support the troops even while you reject the war" line being pushed by organisers, and the speakers they prioritised. There was a clear split between groups concerned and happy about this, I think, though I'm not saying there weren't people in between.

Politicians themselves mostly stayed away, although the Democrats and Greens were represented. Crean, has, of course, turned with the opinion polls. Apparently the troops should participate, now they're there and "fighting" has commenced. Pity he didn't think to tell the rest of the ALP that the position had changed. There are some very pissed members around.

Police are saying there were 30 000. I don't know, numbers were hard to judge as the march was fragmented, slow, dispersed, and many people avoided all or most of the rally itself. The "converge on parliament" event is tomorrow, but there's a defeatist air about the whole thing right now.

Catherine

------------------------------------------------- This mail sent through IMP at ArtsIT: http://admin.arts.usyd.edu.au/horde/imp/