Support the Troops reduxe...

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 23 05:10:27 PST 2003

>From: Michael Pollak <mpollak at panix.com>
>
>If shock and awe works -- if everyone gives up and almost nobody dies --
>it will be a tremendous thing for civilization. It will mean war is be
>almost obsolete. If that's true, it's a wonderful thing.

Au contraire, as the Old Europeans say. However bloodless (and we'll see about that), this attack represents an arbitrary exercise of power by the US. This action has not been sanctioned by the UN; the US is in fact acting in total contempt of the UN. That's nothing to cheer about. Whatever the number of casualties, the US will have carried the day not by the force of its moral and legal arguments but by the force of its technology. One can envision ever more indiscriminate, unilateral hi-tech assaults on other nations going forward. I mean, look at the Swedes, they're holding the marketplace captive with this welfare society of theirs and setting a bad example for all humankind! Why not (bloodlessly) shock-and-awe Stockholm and free Sweden's entrepreneurs from the tyranny of high taxation? There's no limit to America's liberating power in this Brave New World.

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ Add photos to your messages with MSN 8. Get 2 months FREE*. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/featuredemail