Support the Troops reduxe...

Marvin Gandall marvin.gandall at sympatico.ca
Sun Mar 23 07:05:34 PST 2003

The current air and missile assault on Baghdad can't properly be described as the application of "shock and awe" tactics. The doctrine propounds the obliteration of the civilian infrastructure to break the will to resist of a war-weary population.

Accounts out of Baghdad report a climate of fear and some civilian casualties, but power, water, and transport systems are still largely intact. The destruction of Baghdad's infrastructure and widespread civilian suffering won't begin until the US has abandoned initial efforts to scare the Iraqis into submission. Despite much feinting and manoeuvring by US and UK military forces, the main effort still seems to be political, aimed at persuading Iraqi generals and Baathist leaders to stage a coup against the Saddam Hussein circle or to defect to the invaders. If the US is frustrated, the likely ferocity of the ensuing assault against Baghdad will not leave anyone praising shock and awe as a "tremendous thing for civilization". Really!

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Pollak" <mpollak at panix.com> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Saturday, March 22, 2003 11:26 PM Subject: Re: Support the Troops reduxe...