Military resisters - USA Today

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Sun Mar 23 10:10:03 PST 2003

Today's military resisters A few in military refuse to fight 'wrong war' Activists call stance brave; critics say it's cowardly By Deborah Sharp USA TODAY MIAMI -- When Travis Clark joined the U.S. military at age 19, it seemed like a good way to travel and pay for college. It was 1996, the country was at peace, and Clark signed on for an eight-year hitch. Now, with a year left on his contract, the Marine reservist from Plantation, Fla., says he won't go if his unit is called to serve in a war against Iraq. He is adding his voice to a small chorus of like-minded military personnel who say they will not fight for a cause they do not support. "This war is the wrong war," says Clark, 25. "I can't put myself into the position of going into another country and forcing them to defend themselves against me." Full article at http://www.usatoday.com/usatonline/20030320/4967788s.htm

-- Marta Russell Los Angeles, CA http://www.disweb.org