Support the Troops reduxe...

Marvin Gandall marvin.gandall at sympatico.ca
Sun Mar 23 14:28:31 PST 2003

I'm not sure it did differentiate. In fact, I think it was a distillation of experience from the Gulf War. Harlan Ullman and his co-author, James Wade, a former defence undersecretary, brought together a group of staff and field commanders from Gulf I and published their theory on the basis of those discussions. This was, of course, before Kosovo. Anyway, as you know, leapfrogging over the enemy's armies to terror bomb civilians in cities and provoke regime change is not really new doctrine; it begins with the development of air power in WW I. The advent of precision weapons, as you note, does promise to reduce the number of civilian casualties, but at the same time it probably makes it easier for the US to coerce populations by threatening to ("humanely") destroy overnight the entire economic edifice they built over generations.

MG

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Pollak" <mpollak at panix.com> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Sunday, March 23, 2003 3:41 PM Subject: Re: Support the Troops reduxe...