Robocop (Was Support the Troops)

BrownBingb at aol.com BrownBingb at aol.com
Sun Mar 23 18:37:46 PST 2003

From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>

andie nachgeborenen wrote:

>I told the commander that he knew this was illegal. He sais,
>Counselor, this aint a court of law.

One of the great innovations in municipal government during the Rudy years was his habit of doing things that were clearly illegal, and figuring he'd get his way until some court reversed it, which didn't mean he wouldn't do it again.

******

CB: Although this is not a recent innovation; it is SOP of the doctrine "You can't fight city hall" . In Detroit I used to call it "Coleman's law". Often the opponent of city hall doesn't have the resources to go to court , and whatever it is doesn't get reversed.

Then the doctrine of sovereign immunity expands this phenomenon exponentially.

And finally, I would not want to leave the impression that courts don't often do the wrong thing in their decisions, uphold "clearly" illegal conduct, and the like. Afterall, law is politics, judges are political animals.