US pissed at Russkis

Reed Tryte reed_tryte at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 24 13:13:48 PST 2003

Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

>U.S. Demands That Russian Firms Cease Aid to Iraq
>
>(Reuters) "The United States has credible evidence
>Russian companies have provided assistance and
>prohibited hardware to the Iraqi regime,
>things such as night vision goggles, GPS jammers
>and antitank guided missiles," White House spokesman
>Ari Fleischer told reporters.
>
>He said the United Nations has imposed sanctions
>on "such trade" with Iraq.
>
>In Moscow, Russian Foreign Minister Igor Ivanov
>denied Russia had supplied Iraq with any military
>equipment in breach of U.N. sanctions.
>
>"Russia rigorously observes all its international
>obligations and has not supplied Iraq with any
>equipment, including military, in breach of the
>sanctions regime," Ivanov told reporters.

Who's right? If Russian companies did sell Iraq this stuff, is that a violation of UN sanctions? Or are such sales allowed? I thought the sanctions just had to do with things that could be used for chemical, biological or nuclear weapons or prohibited missiles. I mean, doesn't the Iraqi government have to buy bullets from somewhere?