Query Re: "Support the Troops -- Bring Them Home"

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Mar 24 13:27:56 PST 2003

The Gulf War was the first time I ever encountered it. We didn't use it in the Vietnam War. A Vietnam veteran who spoke at our major rally locally(he had been a marine machine gunner) said it was a silly slogan.

It takes a while for americans to get used to the fact that their government can really have evil intentions. They need a temporary crutch. To that extent (its aid to the protestors themselves) it's not a wholly outrageous slogan. But it's got to be broken at some point; people have to get beyond it.

Carrol