Query Re: "Support the Troops -- Bring Them Home"

Reed Tryte reed_tryte at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 24 15:47:29 PST 2003

Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:

>The Gulf War was the first time I ever encountered
>it. We didn't use it in the Vietnam War. A Vietnam
>veteran who spoke at our major rally locally(he had
>been a marine machine gunner) said it was a silly
>slogan.

I didn't exist yet during most of the Vietnam War, but I have a copy of "West Bloc Dissident" by William Blum (the author of "Killing Hope" and "Rogue State"). On the cover is a picture of a New York anti-war march down Fifth Avenue, and a man is carrying a sign that says "Support Our Boys -- Bring Them Home Now."

Interestingly, right next to him is someone with a sign saying "The USA National Liberation Movement Supports the NLF of Vietnam." And next to him is a woman with a sign saying "Committee to Aid the National Liberation Front of South Vietnam."